Saturday, August 30, 2008

Bill Willis on Progress

I'm proud of the role I played, but it was a very small part. I'm appreciative of the people who permitted me to play that role. I still get nice, thoughtful letters, saying that I had a part in how the entire fabric of professional football - management, players, everything - has moved ahead.

Bill Willis
Retired Ohio State Buckeye No. 99
The first African-American to play football at The Ohio State University

You should know about this man.

Go Bucks!

Bill Willis was the first African-American full-time starter in pro-football's modern era. He was the NFL's first middle linebacker. Willis, Marion Motley, Kenny Washington, and Woody Strode were the first African-American starters in modern pro-football in 1946.

Source: bigten.cstv.com