Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Robert B. Parker on Mastery

"Aside from the pure pleasure of it," I said. "What are we trying to accomplish?"

"Hell," Hawk said, "you ought to know how this works. Start in, poke around, talk to people, ask questions, see what happens? I learned it from you all these years."

"It's known in forensic circles as the Spenser method," I said.

"Also known as the I don't have any idea what the fuck I'm doing," Hawk said.

"Also known as that," I said. "Nice to know you've been paying attention."

"Learning from the master," Hawk said.

Spenser and Hawk figure out what's next.

Robert B. Parker
Cold Service
©2005 G. P. Putnam & Sons, p. 164

For Spenser, Susan, Hawk, Pearl & company; for telling a great story and pulling me into that story in one sentence every time. Thank you, bless you, Robert B. Parker.