Saturday, August 15, 2009

Eileen O'Hare on Perceptions

Sydney Mercer (Catherine Oxenberg): No, I mean Maxwell; I'm not interested in him that way.
Fran Fine (Fran Drescher): Well, what's the matter? He's not good enough for you?
Sydney: It's his gender.
Fran: Oh, believe me, I accidentally saw him in the shower and there's nothing wrong with his gender.
Sydney: Fran, I'm gay.
Fran: (hugs Sydney with relief) You're gay? Oh, thank God... (Sydney continues to hug Fran) I'm letting go and you're not. Why?
Sydney: Aren't you gay too?
Fran:(emphatically) Me? No!
Sydney Mercer: I just assumed. You're over thirty, never been married, there's no man in your life.
Fran Fine: (with a knowing, dismissive hand wave) Oh, honey, I'm not gay. I'm just pathetic.

Fran and Sydney, Mr. Sheffield's new, beautiful publicist, talk about Fran's perception of Sydney's relationship with Mr. Sheffield

Eileen O'Hare, writer
The Nanny: Oy Vey, You're Gay!
1995, Columbia Broadcasting System



Source: imdb.com